There is an acute housing problem in Hove and Portslade. Most people have to deal with the private rented sector via a letting agency or landlord. We understand that this can make it problematic for local people- rents are high and significant agency fees can be a barrier to you finding your own place.

That’s why many people look to the council’s social housing options. Even this is difficult though, and according to recent figures, Brighton and Hove City Council has 23,000 on the open register but ill only offer about 750 properties this year.

However, if you’d like to apply for a council houses, Peter can help point you in the right direction. Here is everything you need to know:


How do I apply?


All Homeseekers requesting re-housing and tenants requesting transfers must complete an application form to be put on the housing register. These are available from the Homemove team, from local housing offices (Lavender Street, Oxford Street, Selsfield Drive, Victoria Road and the Whitehawk Community Hub) and from www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/homemove. If you need help completing the form, need information in another language or in large print, or on CD, you can contact the Homemove Team on 01273 294400 who will be happy to help.


Who can apply?


The Housing Register is open to anyone who is 16 years of age or over (subject to the statutory exclusion provisions) although applicants under the age of 18 will only be offered accommodation in certain circumstances (see below).


Who has priority?


  • People with a local connection found to be unintentionally homeless under Part VII of the Housing Act 1996, households with a need to move for welfare or medical reasons that make their current home unsuitable.

  • People moving on from supported housing.

  • Households who occupy accommodation that is unsanitary, overcrowded or does not provide adequate facilities.

  • Households who occupy accommodation where there is substantial disrepair.

  • Households needing sheltered accommodation where the applicant has qualified for a support need.

  • Households with a local connection (see Local Connection criteria).

  • Those who can show that the ingoing primary tenant(s) is/are working or is making a positive contribution to Brighton & Hove.


    What will exclude me? (see pages 6-9)



    What is the banding structure?


    Band A is for households with an urgent need to move

    Band B is for households with a high priority to move

    Band C is for households with an identified housing need

    Band D is for households with no other housing need but interested in affordable social housing and key workers


    What are my housing options?


    The Housing Options Team can offer specialist housing advice. Phone (01273) 294400 or e-mail housing.advice@brighton-hove.gov.uk for more information.

    Private Renting: You can apply to the private rental agencies in the area for suitable accommodation. Contact Housing Benefits on (01273) 292000 for more information.

    Mutual Exchanges: the council operates a mutual exchange system for council or housing association tenants who wish to swap their homes. Go to www.homemove.org.uk.

    Low Cost Home Ownership: register at www.homebuy.co.uk or call Moat Housing on 07002 662846 to be considered for new schemes in the city.


    Where can I find out more?


Brighton Housing Trust (BHT): 01273 645400

Do you like this post?


Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.