Brexit is the biggest issue our country has faced for generations, and I believe we should be fighting as hard as we can to get the best possible Brexit, which means staying in the single market and the customs union; and if that isn’t possible, then fighting against Brexit altogether.
I voted against the triggering of Article 50 in Parliament, and against the EU Withdrawal Bill, because the Government hasn’t convinced me that the Brexit they are offering will bring positive benefits to our community in Hove and Portslade, rather than pose new challenges.
I have set out three tests for the Government to pass if they want my support, which look to ensure continued funding for the city’s two universities outside of the EU, maintain access to a visa-free Europe to support our tourist industry, and remain a member of the Single Market so Brighton and Hove’s large and small businesses can be connected to the European market. If these conditions aren’t met, then I can’t support it.
I want you to know that I am working tirelessly with fellow Parliamentarians from all sides to discuss how we can constructively shape the Brexit process, with all options open, including fighting for a second referendum on the final deal, with the option to remain. I promise I’m working as hard as I possibly can on this because I know how important this is.
There are many battles ahead and I won’t relent on any of them.
I am a champion of a People’s Vote and have committed to campaign for a vote for the public on the final deal. You can read more HERE
Here are some links to articles I’ve written about Brexit:
- A no-deal scenario is a disaster: https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16356177.peter-kyle-my-opinion-on-brexit-and-the-wto/
- I back a People’s Vote on the final deal: https://www.brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/news/opinion/why-we-need-a-people-s-vote-on-brexit-1-8564177
- Brexit is not a done deal: https://labourlist.org/2018/06/peter-kyle-brexit-is-a-big-deal-but-it-is-not-a-done-deal/
- Why I rebelled on the latest Brexit vote: https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2018/06/16/why-i-rebelled-on-the-latest-brexit-vote-by-peter-kyle/
- The Shadow Brexit secretary wants a second referendum on the table: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/23/new-brexit-referendum-should-remain-on-the-table-says-labour